31-12-2009

The End of The Old With The Start of The New Beginning

Newyears eve:
always fun
always eat well
always drink well
experienced it in Austria since 4 years

Not posting anything about snowboarding today
just something to reflect on 2009
Just write down i remember, and have remembered with pictures. Not mentioning too many people, but you know if you were my friend or not, if we shared any times together. I don't need to remind you of that. Thats for you to remember. So here i go:
I remember that i was here in the same bed last year, and i had to get up because i had to catch the plane back to england on the 1st of January.
That was quite annoying because i couldn't drink a lot and had to go to bed relatively early.
This year is different though: going back in 2 days, which means i can go crazy tonight.
Which essentially means that i am going to go crazyyyyy wild.
It will be epic.
It will be good.
Let it be.

OK, so what has happened in 2009:
Since the last snowboarding holiday in england, I had IB mock exams straight afterwards.
I guess i kind of studies for that, as i usually don't do, and was quite unprepared for them.
Also i was relieved because i had just completed all of the internal assessments for every subject before the winter break. So i had a great week in Austria then, a lot more snow than this year, and had a white new years eve instead of a green one.

In january: My 18th birthday, celebrated quite epically and filthy in the garage of our england 'villa'
Collaboration of Shisha, Cider, Beer, too much drama, too many drunken faces.
Was a night to be remembered (or not to be remembered, by some)

By that time i was able to enter pubs and clubs in the UK without having to show ID and to drink legally!
Celebrated this fact by going to the pub before my birthday party with a friend
and in February with an epic night in London town, in a nice club, (Taman Gang it was called i think) where my camera got mugged, and learned a little bit more about why London is such a popular clubbing city.
Lets keep it to the fact that there was a huge bottle of Belvedere vodka present, and i was so far gone at one point, that i even bought a jaegerbomb that was 11 pounds. Epic Fail.

In March, were a couple of things, of course the IB was still haunting me as i had finals coming up in may....
but as i look through pictures of me on facebook i remember the many house parties that were either hosted by me and my brother Bart, or by other mutual friends. These parties consisted mostly of ridiculous drinking games, and there was always two people (preferrably a girl and a guy) ending up snogging eachother. Oh, and lets not forget the unforgettable amounts of Shisha we had at all of these parties. Also, a bit less important for me, unlike some of the Americans at our school (or actually, it were mostly their mothers) Graduation Photo's. What a bloody hype. It's just one big fake-a-smile day. Lets keep it at that. Although i must say it was quite amusing to see everybody in my grade wear a robe. Also there was THE LAST DAY of actual school. High School that is. Now we basically had one month of revision to go through before finals. What epic rape of time that was.

April basically was one amazingly huge timewarp. Nothing amazingly good happened. Nothing Amazingly bad happened. It was pretty decent, i must say. Although: in april, or actually a bit before that, Track & Field had started their season: and as the only senior on the team, i did feel quite honoured as well as enjoying the fact that i was the oldest one in the entire team!

May.
There is so much to say about this month.
It has been the month of Pre-exam house Parties that got out of hand, A shitload of revision (some of it rather procrastinated by free will), Final exams (that i had t sit through till the end, as my Psychology exam was the LAST exam of the schedule), Senior Trip, Graduation, Post-Exam Parties, Random House parties Celebrating our new-earned freedom and many many other things.
Let me just put a few pictures in, because it is too much to explain, it could be a book by itself.











































































































Ok, so that was a good month, in which a lot happened, a lot of parties, i went to Zante, which was basically a second england in Greece, with a 'party bag of lies, booze and then deceit' kind of ;)
and then i graduated. I WAS DONE WITH HIGH SCHOOL. I HAD ABSOLUTE FREEDOM!
Or at least i thought i did....

June and July were one huge bundle of drinking, smoking shisha, ACTUALLY meeting people my age from the hockey club i played for, and just enjoying life with the people i had started to care for quite a lot during these last 3 years i had lived in England. Also was i sad to see so many of them that had to leave to America as they had to settle and get into the idea of living so far away from their families and such sentimental ideas. To pick out a few things: We had a garden party for all the people we knew at the Eastcote Hockey Club (where everybody knew me and my brother as 'The Dutch Boys'), this is where i actually met and talked to many of the people from there for the first (and for many of them the last) time. Then the Tegelberg family arrived in England, visiting us for nearly two weeks, this was overall a good experience, as well as all the sub-experiences that took place: my Father's leaving party with the navy, which was a VERY drunken one for me. I could not really stand up straight, mostly due to the fact that there was a seemingly endless supply of beer, champagne, wine and other alcoholic beverages present. Also i went to Matter (at the o2 arena) with my friend Coen and a group of people that included a friend of mine that was celebrating her birthday. This is where i got to know about the filthy nature of Dubstep music, the dark grungy sound of electro and the amazing performance that was exceeding my expectation by High Contrast. I danced, and had a load of energy from 9pm - 6am. It was great. Especially when Coen and me got home, and i realized that i had forgotten the key, therefore had to dig a spare one up somewhere hidden in the ground around my former house. Fail. Overall this was probably one of the best nights out ive ever had.
Also i had a few house parties for the people from the hockey club, people from school, and others that were closely involved with m summer activities:) Furthermore i went to Fabric, which was pretty good, but not as good as i expected. The music was great, but the people i had gone with, didn't have enough energy to sustain the night. Although a early morning snack at the McDonalds did change their mind a bit. Doing this whilst waiting for the London Underground to continue their service, as it was and has always been pretty shitty.
These two months had been my partying episodes for the summer.

August.... was a rather sad month. I started to realize that i was going to leave the people that i had either just recently met, or felt comfortable and accepted with. This really started to hurt. I basically started guarding myself against these feelings of loss and sadness and kind of became apathetic for a while... I had some pretty sad moments, saying goodbye to people from school, people from the hockey club, randomers that bad been my friends or even closer than that. It was sad to say bye to the people that i had been close to for the last one, two or even three years. It was like i was going to have to leave a part of me behind.

Now then: the months after August, they are mixed up, messed up, and majorly weird. I had chosen to study Physiotherapy, in Utrecht, a city i had never been before. I had to live alone. I came from England, not been talking to the old friends from my home town. I was alone. Completely miserable.
And as someone's anonymity also brings freedom, i had a ''fuck all'' attitude towards everything for the first few weeks i was in Holland, this was mostly due to the fact that i was still settling, i did have a room for myself, exploring my new found freedom (again) and the fact that ACTUALLY nobody knew me.
There was nobody to control me, and i went to about every party i could. I drank so much beer that even a full grown alcoholic would say AMEN. I made so many mistakes in those first few weeks that god would send me straight to hell if i believed in that kind of stuff.
But to tell you the truth: it felt amazing.
For ONCE in my tiny life, i did not have to worry about school. I did not have to worry about underlying rumors about me. I did not have to worry about people judging me. I was completely and utterly crazy.
And i did not think for ONE minute that it was going to stop.
Although, it did.
After the UIT (utrecht introduction time), de University College Utrecht introduction, the introduction of my own College, The introduction of my fraternity SPIN, there was an empty hole. From there on, i became quite  lifeless again, making sure i had enough money to spend on beer, and on food, but to gain some every month i got my allowance from the government. I went from a party-crazy-nutter, to the introvert-shameful-little boy again. I have connected with quite a few people in Utrecht, and reconnected with quite a few of my old friends, so i know a few people again, but to call them friends?
I dont know. I guess you could call the second half of 2009 kind of like 2006, 2007 and half of 2008 together. Nothing much happens, you don't know many people, and you're just a nobody in a group of students that isn't noticed (so it seems).
Although when i think of 2009, i get a weird feeling in my stomach. One of happiness and amazing memories that i will never forget. And another lingering scary one, of the fact that i have to go back to college in a few days to pick up my books again to read and learn about bonestructures and musclerecover again. In other words: right now im in doubt if this is what i want.
But to finish this off: Where would we be without doubt in our lives?
It would be cruel of me to answer that question for you with another huge ramble from my side, so i will leave you with that question.
Happy New Year and an amazing 2010

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten